LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* NSW has reported another daily infection record with 830 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 reported, as the state's health minister said its hospital system was far from buckling under the weight of coronavirus cases.
* Three deaths have been reported in NSW, two men in their 60s and 70s and a woman in her 80s. None were fully vaccinated.
* Victoria's COVID-19 crisis is escalating after the state recorded 65 new cases, with a second regional centre recording a new case and a growing outbreak at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
* Meanwhile, an anti-lockdown protest in Melbourne on Saturday has been described by Victoria's police chief as one of the city's most violent for 20 years, with more than 200 people arrested and nine officers hospitalised.
* NSW Police arrested 47 people and fined more than 260 in relation to planned protests in Sydney, which were successfully smothered on Saturday.
* The ACT reported 19 new cases, more than double the previous day's number with six of the new cases infectious while in the community.
* Queensland has warned it won't necessarily open up to NSW even after the southern state vaccinates 80 per cent of its population, after hundreds of people protested at the Queensland-NSW border.
* Prime Minister Scott Morrison says it is highly unlikely that Australia will achieve zero coronavirus cases, but neither can it live with lockdowns forever.
* Lockdowns have helped spark a walking revolution, with more than 100,000 people signing on to the Heart Foundation's new personal walking plans.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 17,011,099 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to midnight on Saturday, including 196,001 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 9,945,184 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 93,694 in the previous 24 hours).
* 9,238,114 have been issued in primary care and 707,070 in aged and disability facilities.
* 7,065,915 have been administered by the states and territories, including 102,307 in the previous 24 hours.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 914 local cases: 830 in NSW, 65 in Victoria and 19 in the ACT.
* One overseas-acquired case was reported in Victorian hotel quarantine.
* The national death toll is 979: Victoria 820, NSW 125, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 211,364,677
* Deaths: at least 4,423,507
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 4,904,789,419.
Data current as at 1600 AEST on August 22, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.