AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* At least 37,212 new cases: 20,794 in NSW, 8577 in Victoria, 4249 in Queensland, 2552 in South Australia, 514 in the ACT, 466 in Tasmania, 58 in the Northern Territory and two in Western Australia.
* The national death toll is 2258: Victoria 1540 (+3), NSW 669 (+4), SA six, ACT 15, Tasmania 13, Queensland seven, WA nine, and the NT one. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 290,112,377.
* Deaths: at least 5,443,453.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 9,179,020,748.
Data current as at 1700 AEDT on January 3, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.