LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Australia's states and territories are following separate COVID-19 paths as diverging case numbers, outbreaks and vaccination rates have them facing different realities.
* Thousands of secondary contacts will be released from quarantine over the weekend as Victorian health teams try to manage escalating COVID-19 numbers, after another record-breaking day saw 1965 infections and five deaths.
* NSW is among the highest COVID-19 vaccinated jurisdictions in the world as it reached another milestone with 90 per cent first dose coverage in those eligible for a vaccine, after the state reported 580 new cases and 11 deaths.
* Meanwhile, Canberra is on a path to becoming one of the most vaccinated cities in the world with 97.1 per cent of Canberrans having received a first dose.
* The ACT added 25 new local infections to its COVID-19 caseload on Saturday, 12 of them linked to known clusters.
* South Australia has recorded one new coronavirus case in a Victorian commercial transport worker in his 20s, who was travelling through the state to Western Australia.
* Queensland's chief health officer believes testing has helped the state see off the Delta variant of COVID-19 after it recorded no new local cases for a third consecutive day, while authorities urge more people to get vaccinated.
* A Virgin Australia airline cabin crew member has tested positive for coronavirus after travelling on flights across three states while potentially infectious, Victorian health authorities say.
* A senior member of Victoria Police has resigned after publicly expressing her objection to the enforcement of the state's health directions, with the matter being investigated by the Professional Standards Command.
* A Melbourne abattoir worker says he and dozens of workmates weren't told for a week about a COVID-19 outbreak at their plant, which has so far infected four people.
* Victoria's struggling creative industry is to receive a $15 million injection from the state government to support it through the prolonged coronavirus lockdown and help plan for reopening.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 237,249,329 doses administered in the national vaccination rollout up to Saturday, including 331,299 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 17,632,760 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 221,905 in the previous 24 hours).
* 16,586,561 have been issued in primary care and 1,046,199 in aged and disability facilities.
* 12,671,590 have been administered by the states and territories, including 109,394 in the prior 24 hours.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 2571 local cases on Saturday: 1965 in Victoria, 580 in NSW, 25 in the ACT and one in South Australia.
* Four hotel quarantine cases: one in NSW and three in Queensland.
* The national death toll is 1423: Victoria 900, NSW 481, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, ACT 9, and SA 4. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 237,249,329
* Deaths: at least 4,842,478
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 6,424,712,258.
Data current as at 1630 AEDT on October 9, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.