LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Australia has broken through 80 per cent first-dose coronavirus vaccination coverage, with eight in 10 Australians aged 16 and above having received at least one coronavirus jab.
* Victoria has recorded 1763 new local cases, a record number for any state or territory in Australia.
* Australia has clinched a deal for 300,000 courses of antiviral pill Molnupiravir, which is being trialled in the US but has yet to be approved by Australia's medicines regulator.
* Thousands of students in NSW regional communities have returned to face-to-face learning as cases continue to spread in the Hunter and Illawarra areas.
* Health officials in Tasmania say there is a high likelihood of coronavirus cases spreading from an infected teenager who broke home quarantine to visit a Launceston supermarket.
* Dozens of Victorian prisoners and staff are battling COVID-19 as the state's outbreak leaks into jails, with 36 prisoners and 15 correctional staff among the state's active cases.
* The ACT is set to mandate vaccinations for frontline health workers, as the territory recorded 33 new cases of COVID.
* A member of John Frydenberg's staff has tested positive to COVID-19, leaving the federal treasurer in isolation despite testing negative.
* In Queensland, infectious diseases doctor Krispin Hajkowicz will take over as the state's chief health officer.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 28,955,015 doses administered in the national vaccination rollout up to Monday, including 185,742 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 16,718,806 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 100,992 in the previous 24 hours).
* 15,703,751 have been issued in primary care and 1,015,055 in aged and disability facilities.
* 12,236,209 have been administered by the states and territories, including 84,750 in the previous 24 hours.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 2406 local cases on Monday: 1763 in Victoria, 608 in NSW, 2 in Queensland and 33 in the ACT.
* The national death toll is 1355: Victoria 877, NSW 441, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, ACT 8, and SA 4. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 235,388,000
* Deaths: at least 4,808,000
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 6,317,469,000
Data current as at 1600 AEST on October 5, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.