Labor has pledged to act on the recommendations of the royal commission into child sexual abuse, including a redress scheme for victims.
The inquiry was set up by the Gillard government in 2013 and is due to report in December 2017.
The ALP national conference being held in Melbourne on Saturday passed a resolution to act on the commission's findings, in consultation with victims, and to report annually to the parliament on the implementation of the recommendations.
Speaking on the motion, NSW delegate Darcy Byrne said the recommendations would not necessarily be implemented in their entirety, but "in their spirit".
"Today we can take another powerful step forward by saying we will not only listen to their stories but the next Labor government will take action to make sure that that level of abuse never happens to another generation of children," Mr Byrne said.
"The very worst thing we could do is to allow the recommendations of this royal commission to sit on a shelf gathering dust - it would be a kick in the teeth for all people who have come forward."
Labor MP Pat Conroy, who seconded the motion, said the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse had been the most significant achievement of the Gillard government and would be acted on by a Shorten government.
"We must carry this through so the scars can be healed," Mr Conroy said.