Kyhesha's family 'just want closure to carry on' after father's sentencing delay

Sarah Motherwell

The family of a young Brisbane girl who died after prolonged physical and sexual abuse say they just want closure after her father's sentencing was unexpectedly adjourned.

Kyhesha-Lee Joughin was only three years old when she suffered a painful death caused by an infected internal injury in March 2013.

Matthew Lee Williamson has pleaded guilty in the Brisbane Supreme Court to her manslaughter but denied ever harming the child.

Williamson blames the obvious and fatal abuse on his former housemate Christopher Kent, who has also pleaded guilty to Kyhesha's manslaughter.

Matthew Williamson Lee (left) with his daughter Kyhesha-Lee Joughin and her mother Danielle Joughin (right). Source: 7 News

Kyhesha-Lee's family are seeking closure after her death from horrific injuries in 2013. Source: Supplied

After hearing two days of evidence, Justice Roslyn Atkinson was anticipated to hand down her findings on Thursday as to what role Williamson played in Kyhesha's death and his appropriate punishment.

But Williamson's case was adjourned until March 16 after his defence barrister Michael Copley requested a report into whether a "psychological abnormality" contributed to his conduct towards Kyhesha.

A Brisbane court heard horrific details about the final months of Kyhesha-Lee Joughin's life. Source: Supplied

The apartment Queensland man Matthew Lee Williamson lived in with his daughter, toddler Kyhesha-Lee Joughin. Source: AAP

Williamson testified he didn't take his daughter to a doctor despite her vomiting green for days, having obvious bruising on her face, and leaving blood in her nappies.

He also conceded he also ignored proof his daughter was being sexually abused when she showed she was oozing blood from her genitals and told him she "didn't want any fingers up her bum anymore".

Little Kyhesha-Lee Joughin. Picture: 7 News

Evidence presented to the Magistrates Court in Brisbane. Source: AAP

A rope to keep Kyhesha-Lee locked in her room while her father slept all day. Source: AAP

The rope was lashed to the door. Source: AAP

"I didn't think anything of it at the time," he said.

Outside court, Kyhesha's grandfather Doug Joughin said the delay was a "curveball".

"We just want closure so we can just carry on," he said.

If you or someone you know is suffering from sexual or domestic abuse, don't suffer in silence, call 1800 RESPECT any time of day or night.

Adults Surviving Child Abuse: 1300 657 380

Survivors and Mates Support Network: 02 8355 3711

Bravehearts: 1800 272 831