Korean man, 82, dies of heart attack from choking on 'live octopus'


A senior South Korean man died after eating an octopus that was chopped alive.

What happened: The man, 82, choked while eating the delicacy — known as san-nakji — in the city of Guangju on Monday, according to a local fire station. He then suffered a cardiac arrest and was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

About the dish: San-nakji, which literally translates to “live octopus,” is a Korean dish consisting of chopped but still wriggling long arm octopus tentacles topped with some sesame oil and seeds. Considered a stamina booster, it is reportedly popular not only among locals, but foreigners who dare to try it and share their experience online.

The big picture: Monday’s death follows a series of fatalities linked to the dish in recent years. The previous incident occurred in August 2019 and involved another senior — a 71-year-old man — who also choked as the squirming tentacles blocked his airway.

Trending on NextShark: ‘Weekend marriages,' where couples live separately, gain popularity in Japan


More on NextShark:

Watch: Carefree Asian dad sleeping on plane floor wins praise on TikTok

Honda, Toyota express skepticism about EVs amid industry downturn

Tony Leung, Faye Wong reunite in rare photo taken almost 30 years after 'Chungking Express'

Iconic Little Tokyo mainstay, the US' 1st shabu-shabu restaurant, closes after 32 years