Kilkeel: Murder investigation launched after Bobbie McKee's death

Police have named a 69-year-old man found dead in a house in Kilkeel on Thursday as Bobbie McKee.

A murder investigation is under way after Mr McKee's body was found in the property on Newcastle Road.

A woman, also in her 60s, sustained serious head injuries in the incident and is currently being treated in hospital.

A 25-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder remains in custody.

Police said they received a "report of concern for the safety of a couple" at the property shortly after 12:50 GMT on Thursday.

On arrival, officers found the body of Mr McKee and the injured woman, who is in a stable condition in hospital.

Det Ch Insp Anthony Kelly said: "Enquiries remain ongoing in order to determine exactly what has happened. However, at this time, we are not treating this as a firearms-related report."

Picture of the house in Kilkeel
Police say they are not treating the incident as firearms related

'Lovely family'

DUP assembly member for South Down Diane Forsythe described a "lovely family" at the centre of the incident, adding what happened was "absolutely shocking and horrific".

"This is absolutely devastating and heart-breaking for Kilkeel and the wider Mourne area," she told BBC News NI's Good Morning Ulster.

"It's fair to say the community is completely numb as the news broke yesterday," she continued.

"This is a well-known family who we just all have in our thoughts and prayers at this devastating time."

Anne Coffey from New Beginnings charity shop in Kilkeel said she knew Mr McKee well through Mourne Presbyterian Church where she said he was a caretaker.

"Everybody's devastated," Ms Coffey said.

She said church members would "rally around as a family" for those affected.

Ch Insp Lynne Corbett acknowledged "the Kilkeel and wider Mourne community will feel both shocked and saddened by what has happened".

"Our thoughts are with the family as they struggle to come to terms with what has happened, and they have our full sympathy at this time."

She urged members of the public not to speculate on the incident.