Cries of injustice and racism erupted at a Perth court after a man who ran over and killed a 14-year-old boy riding his stolen motorcycle was sentenced to three years' jail.
The 56-year-old, who cannot be named, was acquitted on Friday of Elijah Doughty's manslaughter but had admitted dangerous driving occasioning death.
After the jury's majority verdict was delivered in the Supreme Court, family and supporters of the Kalgoorlie boy screamed abuse at the man and stormed out of the courtroom.
Some yelled "murdering dog" and "you white c*** jury."
Protesters shouted "No justice! No peace!" outside court, where there was a heavy police presence.
Aboriginal elder Ben Taylor said: "If he was a white kid there would have been an uproar, but when a black kid gets killed by a white fella, there's no law."
Around 200 protesters took to Kalgoorlie's streets after the verdict, but locals said it was a peaceful march.
Family members who remained for the sentencing scoffed at the term, saying it was inadequate.
The maximum penalty for the offence is 10 years.
The Victoria-born father-of-six, a dump truck driver who moved to Kalgoorlie-Boulder for the mining boom, had reported two motorcycles missing from his property and claims police told him to look in bushland at Gribble Creek as it was a "dumping ground".
After hearing a motorcycle and laying in wait in a street, he saw the boy ride past and gave chase onto an uneven and boggy track, where the speed limit was 110km/h.
The chase lasted just over 20 seconds, with the motorcycle and man's high-powered ute moving at average speeds of 46km/h and 67km/h respectively, before the boy suddenly swerved in front of the vehicle.
The court heard there was no evidence of swerving or heavy braking at the crash scene.
"All of this happened very quickly," Chief Justice Wayne Martin said.
He said it was merciful the boy likely died instantly from his injuries, sustaining severe injuries to his neck, chest, pelvis and right leg, a fractured skull and bruised lungs.
Police in Kalgoorlie oversaw Friday's peaceful protest, in contrast to the violent riot when the man first appeared in August, with police injured and nearby shops forced to close.
Justice Martin said the "ill-informed and lawless group" didn't influence the sentencing.
He noted the man's house had been burnt down two days after the crash, forcing his family to flee the state, but there was no evidence the boy's family had anything to do with it.
Justice Martin gave the man the full sentence discount for pleading guilty at the earliest opportunity, noting he immediately sought help for the boy and tried to provide CPR.
He said a "reasonable pursuit" may have been justified, but not driving dangerously.
Prosecutor David Davidson said the boy had "little to no chance" of surviving a collision given the significant imbalance in size and power of the vehicles, the speed of the ute and the unstable terrain.
The man will be eligible for parole next February after serving half his term, including time already spent in custody, some of which has been segregated.