Islamic State has claimed responsibility for an attack on the Afghan Interior Ministry building in Kabul that left one policeman dead and five injured.
The terrorist militia's semi-official Amaq news agency reported the claim, saying it was a suicide attack, without giving details.
Najib Danish, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, said that eight attackers were involved, with one blowing himself up and seven taken out by policemen at the facility entrance.
He had earlier spoken of 10 attackers while confirming the end of a nearly two-hour assault, saying that assailants had been unable to penetrate the main building, in a live interview with Afghan agency ToloNews.
Another ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said earlier that the militants had been unable to penetrate the building and had fought security forces at the entrance.
The Interior Ministry moved to its current facility, located near Kabul's Hamid Karzai International Airport, last year.
According to Mohammad Ajmal Faizi, a border police spokesman at the airport, all incoming and departing flights put on hold during the attack had resumed normal operations.
Images shared on social media showed that the attackers had used an SUV and were dressed in military uniforms used by foreign forces.
Wednesday's assault marks the tenth large-scale attack in Kabul since the start of the year. The violence has killed 289 people and injured at least 481 others.