Iran says it discussed the mental state of Sydney gunman Man Haron Monis with Australian officials several times before this week's deadly cafe siege.
The 50-year-old Iranian refugee and two of his hostages died at the end of a 16-hour siege in a cafe in Sydney's CBD before dawn on Tuesday.
Iranian foreign ministry spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham said Iranian and Australian authorities were well aware of the man's condition.
"The psychological conditions of the person who took refuge in Australia two decades ago had been discussed several times with the Australian officials," she said.
"The situation of the hostage taker had been completely clear to the Australian related officials."
Iran's Fars news agency also reported Australia had denied an attempt to extradite Monis to Iran, where he been indicted for fraud and went by the name of Mohammad Hassan Manteghi Boroujerdi before he came to Australia in 1996.
Comment was being sought from Justice Minister Michael Keenan, who has responsibility for extradition.
Ms Afkham said in a statement her government condemned the hostage taking.
"Resorting to inhuman methods and creating fear, under the name of religion, is by no way acceptable in any circumstances," she said.