Family and Community Services was warned that a baby's sleeping arrangements could put her at risk of smothering before she died of unknown causes, an inquest has heard.
The four-month-old died at her uncle's Sydney unit on the morning of August 17, 2014, and an inquest at Glebe Coroner's Court is looking into her death.
Counsel assisting the coroner, Chris McGorey, on Monday said he expected evidence that the girl, who can't be named for legal reasons, was sleeping in her pram while her family stayed at her uncle's place during a visit from South Australia.
The girl's mother and uncle both have intellectual disability, the court heard.
Mr McGorey, during his opening address, said the Family and Community Services (FaCS) helpline received a risk of harm report on August 14 regarding the living situation.
The report said the two-bedroom unit was excessively crowded and the baby was seen sleeping in a pram - which could present a smothering hazard as she was likely beginning to roll.
A caseworker contacted Families South Australia, which advised its case for the family had been closed in October 2013, without mentioning another report made more recently.
Mr McGorey said FaCS decided to prioritise other cases and further discuss the report at a meeting scheduled after the girl's death.
The agency had accepted a greater response was needed within 24 hours to assess the safety of the baby and her siblings, the court heard.
Mr McGorey expected there would be evidence of changes that aimed to prevent something similar happening again.
The inquest heard the girl was taken to hospital by ambulance the day before her death after her uncle became concerned that she wasn't eating.
But the uncle said they left before seeing a doctor as the mother didn't want to wait.
He and the baby's father later alleged to police that the mother had shaken her, although Mr McGorey said the father recanted his claim.
However, a forensic paediatric expert did not believe the baby's death was caused by being shaken.
The possibility of accidental and non-accidental suffocation could not be excluded, with sleeping in strollers presenting a risk.
The inquest continues.