Brighton siege triple-zero calls played

·3-min read

A sex worker's cries for help while being held hostage by Brighton siege gunman Yacqub Khayre have been played to a Melbourne court.

Khayre shot receptionist Kai Hoa dead at the Buckingham International Serviced Apartments on June 5, 2017.

The 29-year-old gunman, who died in a subsequent police shootout, also took a sex worker hostage and told emergency services he had a bomb.

"It's a hostage situation," Khayre said in one triple-zero call made by the hostage and played to Victoria's Coroners Court on Monday.

"No one come into room 11 or else the hostage dies.

"The clerk at the front is dead.

"There's a bomb in the premises as well."

The sex worker can be heard saying: "Please help me".

"I am hostage, hostage."

She had arrived at the apartment for a booking with Khayre.

He bound her hands with cable and left the room. It's thought this is when he shot Mr Hoa twice in the chest and abdomen.

The 36-year-old receptionist, also known as Nick, had only been married two months earlier.

"We both felt that we have finally found the most important person in our life," his widow Lu Li said in a statement.

"He is gone just like this. It came out of the blue. It is such a shock. It's a devastating blow to me (that) will last for the rest of my life."

Mr Hoa's mother said he "was like the whole sky to us".

"This happened just when we were looking forward to a beautiful future. We have lost the pillar of our family," she said.

As Khayre holed himself up with his hostage, he made a second triple-zero call and also called Channel 7.

"This is the Brighton hostage," he said, according to a statement by the chief of staff at the time.

"This is for IS, this is for al-Qaeda."

Khayre was shot dead after running outside and firing at police.

Three officers were injured, two by Khayre and another in the cross-fire.

Police helicopter footage was also played, showing Khayre being shot.

He had been acquitted in 2010 of conspiring to do an act in preparation for a terrorist attack.

He was arrested the year prior over an investigation into the suspected financing of the Al-Shabaab terror group in East Africa and also related to a planned attack on Sydney's Holsworthy Army Barracks.

Three of Khayre's co-accused were convicted.

When he died, Khayre was on parole for a non-terror related offence and wore a GPS bracelet to monitor his compliance with his curfew.

His extensive criminal history included aggravated burglary, firearms offences, arson, handing stolen goods, and intentionally and recklessly causing injury,

In the lead-up to the siege, he committed burglaries to fund his purchase of firearms including a double barrel sawn-off shotgun used in the siege.

Khayre had been assessed as being a low-level person of interest.

The court was told his activities and lifestyle were deemed incompatible with Islamic extremism.

But he showed an increasing interest in extremist material before he died.

His online searches included videos about ISIS, martyrdom on the battlefield and adult entertainment.

Khayre also looked up Anwar al-Awlaki, who was described as a leading English language propagandist for al-Qaeda before being killed a 2011 drone strike in Yemen.

After the siege, an Islamic calender was found in Khayre's bedroom with June 5 highlighted. "Inshallah", meaning God willing, was written next to it with question marks.

Coroner Audrey Jamieson is examining the extent to which Khayre was being monitored on parole, authorities' knowledge of his views about terrorism, and whether the siege could have been anticipated and prevented.

The inquest is set to continue on Tuesday.