World champion high jumper Mutaz Barshim has been ruled out for the rest of the season because of an ankle injury, the Qatar Athletics Federation announced on Tuesday.
In a statement, the QAF said Barshim, who won gold at the 2017 World Athletics Championships in London, damaged ankle ligaments in Hungary earlier this month.
He injured himself while trying to set a new world record height of 2.46 metres, said the statement.
Barshim, 27, said, there would be no long-term damage.
"I am not worried and have got positive feedback from my doctors," he said in the statement.
He added that he wanted to make sure he was fully fit before returning to ensure he will be ready to defend his world champion crown next year in Doha.
"My biggest goal next year is, of course, the World Championships in my home country, Qatar," said Barshim.
The tournament will take place in September and October next year in the Qatari capital, the first time it has been held in the Middle East.
Barshim also won silver at the Rio Olympics.
Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim , seen celebrating his win in the men's high jump in Doha last May, says he is above all targeting a world championship title defence next year in Doha