Victoria’s health minister has made a heartfelt apology amid the state’s ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Jenny Mikakos took to Twitter around midnight on Saturday, hours after Victoria recorded 466 more cases.
Ms Mikakos tweeted decisions to deal with the pandemic needed to be made quickly because the virus “would not wait”.
“Mistakes were made along the way, because humans are flawed yet contagious viruses are unforgiving,” she said.
She added that Victorians were now facing a second wave of COVID-19.
“Our collective heartache is enormous for every grieving family, every unemployed worker, every person not coping at home alone,” she tweeted.
“Since that fateful day on 25 January, when we had our first-ever case, I’ve worked every day to keep everyone safe. I have put every ounce of energy I’ve had into that effort. If it wasn’t enough, then I’m deeply sorry.”
Referring to the inquiry into the coronavirus hotel debacle, Ms Mikakos said she had always striven to be upfront and measured about the challenges facing Victorians.
“So it pains me to see the incorrect assumption made that somehow I can single-handedly report on the actions of countless individuals and many agencies involved n our pandemic response,” she said.
“Let the independent judge do her job, let the cards fall where they may. I believe there is nothing to fear in seeking the truth. The truth will set you free.”
Ms Mikakos recently was brought to tears during a coronavirus press conference saying the rising number of cases had her “very distressed”.
“I want to acknowledge the grief of all of those families who have lost a loved one, a very much loved member of their family in recent days,” she said.
Ms Mikakos added the rising numbers largely in private aged care had been “very, very concerning”.
On Sunday, Victoria recorded 394 more cases of COVID-19.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.