The Victorian government has been inundated with expressions of interest to help schoolchildren who have fallen behind during the state's COVID-19 lockdowns.
A $250 million package was unveiled on Tuesday to recruit 4100 tutors in a bid to give 200,000 students a leg up for the 2021 school year.
Education Minister and Deputy Premier James Merlino said the response to the call-out to casual, long service and retired teachers had been swift.
"I woke up this morning, we've already had 7800 teachers register their interest and that says a lot about our brilliant educators in Victoria," he told reporters on Wednesday.
"We will have the full complement of tutors, supporting kids who have fallen behind and we'll get them back up to speed.
"It's a great outcome in less than 24 hours."
It comes as 584,000 primary school, Year 7, VCE and special school students returned to Melbourne classrooms on Monday after 10 weeks of remote learning.
The only hiccup was at Nazareth College in Noble Park, with the school forced to hastily delay reopening after a Year 12 student who sat last week's General Achievement Test tested positive.
The Catholic senior school was alerted to the infection on Sunday night and quickly told parents to keep their children home on Monday.
Following deep cleaning and contact tracing, Nazareth College was given the all-clear on Tuesday afternoon to open on Wednesday morning.
Mr Merlino said the 48-hour turnaround was a great result and confirmed no other cases had been linked to the school.
Meanwhile, Bairnsdale Secondary College in East Gippsland remains open despite a confirmed case being linked to a school staff member.
Mr Merlino said students were able to safely attend the school as the worker had not been on site while contagious.
Under the final step of Melbourne schools' staged resumption, year eight to 10 students are due to return to classrooms on October 26.