'Upsetting' way cafe discovered it was a Covid exposure site

·News Reporter
·2-min read

The owner of a Melbourne cafe visited by a positive case of coronavirus has revealed the "upsetting" way he found out his business was a recent exposure site. 

Port Park Cafe owner Charlie Nasr was contacted at 8am on Wednesday by a health official telling him a Covid-19 case had visited, but by that point he had been serving customers for two hours. 

Speaking with radio station 3AW, Mr Nasr said it was a customer that initially told him his Port Melbourne cafe had been exposed to the virus.

"A customer said 'You’re listed as one of the exposure sites'," he told host Neil Mitchell.

Port Park Cafe front door pictured.
A customer was the one to tell the Port Park Cafe owner the business had been listed as an exposure site. Source: Google Maps

The positive case had visited on Monday between 12.30pm and 1pm.

He closed his doors after being told by the customer, and was shut by the time he heard from a health worker. 

"I got a phone call from a lady from the South East Public Health Unit for Monash Health and that was at about 8am … advising me that I’m an exposure site," he said.

"We were open and we were an exposure site but we had no idea that we were. That’s where we were a bit upset." 

Mr Nasr added that customers he served before closing had been contacting him all day "panicking". 

A Covid-19 cluster in Melbourne's north has almost doubled to 15 infections after six extra cases were confirmed on Wednesday.

The inside of the Port Park Cafe.
The cafe served customers for hours Wednesday morning before closing to be deep cleaned. Source: Google Maps

Source of Whittlesea outbreak not yet confirmed

Genomic sequencing showed the outbreak was linked to a Wollert man who contracted Covid-19 in South Australian quarantine earlier this month.

The man, in his 60s, could be the possible 'source case' for the City of Whittlesea outbreak, although a definitive link has yet to be established.

In Greater Melbourne, home gatherings have been limited to five visitors a day and public gatherings restricted to 30 people until at least June 4.

Masks are mandatory indoors for people aged 12 and over. The Victorian government has not yet ruled out a snap lockdown.

Health authorities have continued to update the list of exposure sites, with concerns the virus could have been spread up to 150km from Melbourne.

With AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting