Horror crash in Sydney tunnel leaves one person dead, three seriously injured

One person has died and three others are in hospital with serious injuries after a two-car crash in a tunnel near Sydney Airport.

The head-on crash happened in the airport tunnel on General Holmes Drive before 5.40am and resulted in long traffic delays and majors disruptions to public transport services on Thursday morning.

Emergency services were called to the scene at Mascot after the vehicles collided head-on in the northbound lane, NSW police said.

The scene of the head-on crash near Sydney Airport where one person died and three others were injured on Thursday morning. Source: Nine News

Officers from South Sydney Police Area Command have been told five people were travelling in the northbound lane while the driver of the southbound vehicle was the sole occupant.

A passenger in the northbound vehicle died at the scene. Three others have been seriously injured while all surviving passengers have been taken to hospital.

Both lanes of the airport tunnel have been closed and people are being told to avoid the area as delays are expected for hours.

According to Live Traffic Sydney, traffic queues in the area stretched seven kilometres long shortly before 8am.

“Motorists are not permitted to head southbound on General Holmes Dr from Wentworth Ave,” it said in an update. “Westbound motorists on Foreshore Rd are being directed citybound onto General Holmes Dr.”

Transport NSW said that due to the serious nature of the crash, they were unable to tell when the road would be re-opened. Crash investigators remain at the scene.

There is heavy traffic in the area with diversions in place at Southern Cross Drive and Wentworth Street.

Commuters travelling towards the airport should divert via Airport Drive, or ideally catch the train, authorities urged.

Those travelling in the area this morning can check for updates on the road closure at LiveTraffic.com.

The traffic chaos has caused long delays for Sydney buses this morning with bus routes 301, 303, 307, 309, 309X, 310X, 357 and 400 delayed up to 40 minutes.

Police and fire crews on the scene after the tunnel was closed. Source: Facebook/NSW Highway Patrol Command.

Roads were slippery Thursday morning after rainfall in Sydney overnight and police urged drivers to take extra care given the conditions.

“Head on collision southbound Airport Tunnel Mascot. Avoid area major delays and please slow down in the wet,” the NSW Traffic and Highway Patrol Command urged motorists on Facebook.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.