Forensic scientists are working to find out if a young journalism student was still alive when she was chopped up into 13 pieces by a man she had spent the evening with.
Azra Gulendam Haytaoglu, 21, was last seen alive when she left her home in the Turkish city of Antalya on July 28.
Her phone was subsequently turned off and she was not heard from for five days.
Her family filed a missing persons report with the police.
But any hopes of her being found alive evaporated when the young woman's call log led the police to civil engineer and real estate agent Mustafa Murat Ayhan, 48, who allegedly confessed to killing her.
Ayhan allegedly told police he had had dinner with the young woman in his house and they had consumed alcohol before an argument ensued.
He then reportedly said he strangled her to death before dismembering her body with a pruning saw.
Ayhan allegedly revealed he later took her body parts in a suitcase to a wooded area in the municipality of Kepez, where he buried them.
Following his alleged confession, investigators are now working to determine if Ms Haytaoglu was indeed dead when she was dismembered.
If forensic scientists are able to confirm that, contrary to Ayhan's claims, Ms Haytaoglu was in fact still alive as she was cut into 13 pieces.
It will impact the length of prison sentence if he is convicted.
Suspect denied sexually assaulting 21-year-old student
Despite extensive searches, Ms Haytaoglu's skull and left hip have still not been recovered.
Ayhan had previously denied sexually assaulting the 21-year-old before allegedly killing her and it was not reported in the latest development if investigators had come to any conclusions regarding this accusation.
Previous reports stated Ayhan had allegedly etched his name onto Ms Haytaoglu's body with a razor blade after her death.
They had also stated the two had known each other from the cafe where Ms Haytaoglu was working part-time as a waitress.
The investigation is ongoing.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.