* The 2016 census showed 116,000 people in Australia sleep rough on our streets each night, a 14 per cent increase in just five years.
* Over the same period federal spending on housing and homelessness has declined 16 per cent.
* Homelessness services around the country are seeing more than 288,000 people every year and that figure is growing by over four per cent each year.
* Social housing in Australia accounts for 4.7 per cent of all housing stock (In Finland it's 20 per cent).
* Waitlists for social housing in Australia remain long, with 189,400 households awaiting allocation.