Easing rainfall has helped free hundreds of residents isolated by NSW floodwaters but more than 1000 remain trapped, the State Emergency Service says.
About 1300 people are cut off on Sunday afternoon compared with the 2500 residents that were isolated in north and mid-north coast communities earlier in the day.
NSW SES spokesman Brent Hunter says the service has been working to make sure isolated residents have vital supplies.
"We are seeing people regaining the access to their properties," he told AAP on Sunday.
The SES has completed 82 rescues and received 3200 calls for assistance since the start of soggy weather earlier in the week.
A flood evacuation order is in place for caravans and campers at the Murwillumbah showground, with people being urged not to delay and to remember some roads are closed.
There were also evacuations in parts of Bellingen and Urunga on Sunday but people have since been able to return.
The Bureau of Meteorology says showers and isolated thunderstorms are expected for the coast, ranges and northern inland throughout the day, with flood warnings issued for 11 rivers.
Fifty millimetres is expected to fall in parts of the mid north coast and central tablelands, it says.
Rainfall has eased in many areas but some waters are expected to continue rising to minor or moderate flooding levels.
Mr Hunter urged people to stay away from flood waters, with police issuing fines for motorists ignoring warning signs.
"In the royal national park we actually had to call police down to deal with people who were ignoring those signs and putting their lives and our lives at risk," he said.
"It's not worth your life."
The easing conditions come after areas around the Bellinger, Nambucca, Macleay, Hastings and Manning rivers received more than 100mm in the 24 hours to Sunday morning.