Hayne trial hears woman's evidence of alleged assault
A jury has heard evidence from a woman who says she was sexually assaulted in her bedroom by former NRL star Jarryd Hayne.
The 35-year-old has pleaded not guilty to two charges of sexual intercourse without consent as his NSW District Court trial got underway.
Defence barrister Margaret Cunneen SC told the jury that the sex acts he performed on the woman on the night of the 2018 NRL grand final were consensual.
"It ended abruptly, and disappointingly perhaps, for all concerned ... but nothing in that room is done against (her) will," she said on Monday.
Hayne has denied the allegations since being charged in November 2018.
The court was closed on Tuesday as the jury heard evidence from the woman he is accused of assaulting.
Crown prosecutor John Sfinas told the jury on Monday the alleged assault involved oral and digital sex for about 30 seconds, ending when the woman's genitals began bleeding.
Hayne had arrived at the suburban Newcastle home the woman shared with her mother, on his way back to Sydney.
A "defining moment" came when she heard the honk of a taxi waiting outside to continue Hayne's journey.
While the possibility of sex had been open, it then "evaporated" for the woman, Mr Sfinas said.
Ms Cunneen contended Hayne had told her he was returning to Sydney and would stop by her house "on the way".
She said the woman remained open to Hayne kissing, fondling and "pleasuring" her.
"There was no sex in the way both the complainant and Mr Hayne thought of the term 'having sex'," Ms Cunneen said.
Hayne responded "politely" after the woman started messaging him on Instagram 13 days before the alleged incident, she said.
The messages which the jury would see during the trial became more sexual in nature after she told Hayne she had imagined having sex with him, Ms Cunneen said.
The trial before Judge Graham Turnbull continues on Wednesday.