Gunman in Mackay surrenders to police

Jamie McKinnell

A gunman who prompted a partial shutdown of the Mackay CBD in central Queensland has surrendered peacefully after police negotiations.

A large area of the city was locked down after an emergency declaration was made about 5.30pm on Wednesday.

Witnesses called police after the man, who was armed with at least two long-arm rifles, fired several shots into the air near Gregory Street.

Detective Inspector Brendan Smith confirmed the gunman surrendered about 8pm.

"It's obviously a great result, nobody has been hurt," he told reporters in Mackay.

The man will be taken to Mackay Base Hospital for an assessment but hasn't yet been charged.

"We'll determine after that what the next steps are," Det Insp Smith said.

Police negotiators spoke with the man on the street as other officers made contact with his family to establish a possible motive.

"The family was useful," Det Insp Smith said.

"It's one of the many strategies negotiators use to build a profile of any person of interest."

While there was no firm motive established, Det Insp Smith said police would continue to "look at all options".

Police had earlier said the man shot into the air to draw attention to himself, but he hadn't made any threats against any other person.

The exclusion zone included the area encompassing the intersection of River and MacCallister Streets to the intersection of River and Wood Streets, and from Wood and Gordon Streets, to Gordon and MacCallister Streets.

Det Insp Smith said the area was still a crime scene and urged the public not to go into the CBD.