WARNING – DISTRESSING CONTENT: Horrifying video footage uploaded online appears to show the moment a gunman opened fire on a Christchurch mosque, shooting dead multiple people inside.
In bodycam footage uploaded to YouTube and Facebook, which appears to be a livestream, the man gets into his car, looks into the camera and drives up to Masjid Al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue in central Christchurch on Friday afternoon.
With the military march The British Grenadiers playing, he gets out of the Subaru wagon and walks to the front of the mosque with his rifle raised before opening fire towards several people standing at the entrance.
People can be seen fleeing into adjacent rooms before the gunman walks through a hallway and enters a large room to the rear of the mosque.
Several people cower in the corner of the room who the gunman fires several shots at. One man tries to escape and he too is gunned down.
Leaving the mosque, he returns to his car before driving on, shooting from the car’s window and speeding through nearby streets among busy traffic.
In the clip, multiple guns can be seen in the boot of the vehicle.
NZ Police are urging people not to share the “distressing” raw footage of the attack, which is circulating online.
Police Commissioner Mike Bush said the city remains in lockdown and people cannot assume the incident is over.
A total of 49 people have been killed in attacks on two mosques in the city, with a further 50 others seriously injured.
A total of three men and one woman have been arrested. One man, aged 28, has now been charged with murder and will appear in a Christchurch court tomorrow.
Commissioner Bush said more people may be involved.
“Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high,” he said earlier on Friday.
Commissioner Bush confirmed there was a second shooting location at Linwood Islamic Centre, 5km west of the Masjid Al Noor mosque.
Reports suggest there was a third incident at Christchurch Hospital in between the two shooting sites.
Photos uploaded to a Twitter account under the name of Brenton Tarrant shows a series of guns with white markings, which appear to be the same used in the video.
A 37-page manifesto understood to be from the gunman was uploaded online, where the man claims to be Australian of Scottish, Irish and English descent.
Under a subheading, he said the reason for his attack was to “show the invaders that our lands will never be their lands”.
“As long as a white man still lives, they will NEVER conquer our lands and they will never replace our people.”