Five men and a teenage boy have been found guilty of murdering 26-year-old Patrick Slater in the Perth CBD hours after Australia Day celebrations last year, and his family says justice has been served.
Mr Slater was assaulted with weapons including a star picket and chunks of concrete near the Esplanade train station early on January 27, with prosecutors saying the fatal injury was a 25cm-long stab wound to his chest, likely inflicted by a screwdriver.
Christopher James Birdsall, Dylan Terrance Wayne Anthony, Clinton Fredrick Mead, his brother Stefan Lazba Mead, Robert Christopher James Pickett and a child who cannot be named for legal reasons were among eight males charged over the attack and were convicted after two days of jury deliberations on Tuesday.
Another child, who was aged 11 at the time, will face trial in the Children's Court later this year.
The Supreme Court of WA heard the group had three fights over 45 minutes with Mr Slater's group, which included his two sisters, starting with verbal exchanges between females from both parties.
Much of the mayhem was captured on CCTV but the fatal attack was not.
Outside court, where there was a large police presence, Mr Slater's cousin Vanessa Brockman told reporters his horrific death had a devastating impact on the family and justice had been served.
"Paddy was a quiet young man who didn't deserve what happened to him," Ms Brockman said.
"These men took his life without any remorse or consideration for what they'd done to our family.
"He was just an innocent man trying to get home. It should never have escalated to what it did.
"We'd give anything to have Patrick back."
She also said violence among Aboriginal people had to end.
"As a community, we need to take a long, hard look at ourselves and change what we're doing to protect our future generations."
A sentencing hearing is scheduled for August 25.