Grieving mother's warning on toppling furniture after son's death

A grieving WA mother is urging parents to heed the warnings after new figures revealed accidents like the one that killed her little boy Reef are more common than you might think.

Fifty Australians a week are being injured by toppling furniture – with children under three the most likely to be hurt or killed.

Dramatic vision from the United States showed the moment two-year-old twin Bodie saved his brother Brock from being crushed to death, but sadly many are not as lucky.

Dramatic vision from the United States showed the moment two-year-old twin Bodie saved his brother Brock from being crushed to death. Source: 7 News

“To have one or two children dying every single year and a further 50 admitted to hospital for furniture tip-overs is huge,” Kidsafe CEO Melanie Courtney said.

“As a parent, it’s really frightening.”

WA toddler Reef died when a chest of drawers fell on him in 2013. He was just 22 months old.

WA toddler Reef died when a chest of drawers fell on him in 2013. He was just 22 months old. Source: 7 News

His mother Skye is urging all parents to make sure their furniture is secure.

“Look around the home and if your child can climb it [secure it],” she said.

“The recommendations now are if it’s over a metre high to bolt it back.”

Reef’s mother Skye is urging all parents to make sure their furniture is secure. Source: 7 News

Tragically,  since 2001, 22 children under the age of nine have been killed by toppling furniture or TVs.

A staggering 50 people per week – that’s 2600 Australians a year – receive hospital treatment because of injuries caused by unsecured furniture.

Flat screen TV’s, bookcases and chests of drawers are the most dangerous household items for young children.

Flat screen TV’s, bookcases and chests of drawers are the most dangerous household items for young children. Source: 7 News

“Go and buy an anchorage device – they are really cheap – and install it today,” Kidsafe’s Melanie Courtney said.

“Don’t put it off, it can happen so quickly and it’s so easily preventable.”