Grandmother's horrifying discovery at children's playground: 'Disgraceful'

·2-min read

When Tina Kouras took her granddaughters to a local playground, checking the equipment for hidden blades never crossed her mind.

While picking up pieces of rubbish as the girls played, the woman was shocked when she found a double-edged razor blade in the play area, saying "chills went through her" when she made the horrifying discovery.

The blade was found in the wood chips of the playground, making it hard to spot.

The side of an orange piece of playground equipment with brown chip bark, a silver blade is seen near the edge of the orange edge of playground equipment.
The razor blade was found in the woodchip bark of the Shepparton playground. Source: Facebook/ Supplied

'Good idea to check equipment' 

Ms Kouras had taken her five-year-old and 18-month-old granddaughters to the O'Conner Park playground in Shepparton, Victoria, when she noticed the silver blade out of the corner of her eye.

"After about 20 minutes of playing I had been walking around picking up pen lids, sharp steel glass bottle lids, Ms Kouras told Yahoo News Australia.

"I walked under the slide which has a climbing wall at the rear of it and noticed a double edge blade razor." 

"Chills went through me," she admitted. "I took a photo, picked it up, and put it in the bin."

Ms Kouras said she had to act quickly, wrapping the blade up and throwing it in a bin.

"I wanted to get them [my granddaughters] off the playground into the car just in case there were more razor blades hidden in the chip bark," she explained. 

Screenshot from Google Maps showing a colourful playground in a patch of green grass with houses in the background.
The double-edged blade was found at O'Conner Park playground in Shepparton. Source: Google Maps

Ms Kouras posted a photo to a local community Facebook group, warning parents and caregivers to be careful when their children are playing.

"[It would] be a good idea for parents to have a quick check of play equipment in any playground they take kids to," she suggested.

Locals shocked by the find

Parents thanked Ms Kouras for bringing the hidden danger to their attention.

"Thanks for posting!" one user wrote. "I’ve never thoroughly checked but I will now!"

"That's bloody disgraceful who thinks of this stuff," another wrote.

Ms Kouras rang the local council who have reported the incident to the police.

"Greater Shepparton City Council advises residents to report incidences of syringes, blades or any dangerous objects on public property directly to police so it can be safely removed and investigated," a spokesperson from the Greater Shepparton City Council told Yahoo News Australia.

"Please do not touch or attempt to remove the item and provide a precise location when reporting. If possible wait until the site is attended to direct police."

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting