Government seeks ideas to overhaul Australia Post
GOVERNMENT SEEKS TO DELIVER POST REFORM
* A discussion paper has been launched on modernising Australia Post following several years of decline.
* The number of letters delivered each week has fallen by two-thirds since peaking in 2007/08.
* In 2008, 8.5 addressed letters were sent on average each week to Australian households.
* As of today, the number of letters households receive each week is an average of 2.4, prompting suggestions Australia Post could move away from daily letter deliveries.
* The head of Australia Post earlier this year said bills and bank statements made up about 98 per cent of letters delivered to homes.
* Meanwhile, parcel deliveries are booming, with more than 500 million delivered by Australia Post during 2021/22, with one in five retail sales happening online.
* Australia Post had posted a loss of $189.7m for the first half of the financial year.
* The service is on track for a full financial year loss, the first time it has happened since 2015.
* Australia Post is currently obliged to deliver letters to 98 per cent of Australian homes every weekday.