Man jailed after plan ends in hit-and-run

Ed Jackson
George Mavridis's son was left with brain injuries after a hit-and-run on the Gold Coast in 2016.

As the car he was driving reached 80km/h, Mina Hanna simply couldn't believe the "easy target" he'd tried to steal $100 from moments earlier was still clinging to the vehicle.

Hanna had lured Andrew Mavridis to the remote road in the Gold Coast hinterland suburb of Tallai early on May 3 2016 with the promise to sell him cannabis.

After realising Hanna had no drugs, Mavridis reached into the driver's side window and attempted to get his cash back.

Hanna hit the accelerator and began driving off as Mavridis clung on, before falling from the car.

As Mavridis, wearing nothing but torn boxer shorts, lay on the road with severe injuries, Hanna drove off.

He would later tell friends "there's going to be a lot of trouble from this, watch the news".

On Thursday, Hanna was sentenced to six and half years' imprisonment for the hit-and-run and various other criminal offences at the Southport District Court.

The court heard Hanna had deliberately targeted Mavridis knowing the father had a pre-existing disability from a skateboarding accident in 2010.

Crown prosecutor Michael Connelly said when police located Mavridis on the road he was bleeding from his mouth and nose and suffered a seizure before paramedics placed him an induced coma.

Mavridis would spend the next few weeks in and out of intensive care and had been left with permanent disabilities including loss of speech and movement and was confined to a wheelchair and in the care of his parents.

Judge Catherine McGuinness said a victim impact statement from Mavridis' father George "poignantly describes the tragic impact on his family".

"Seeing our son unable to fulfil his potential is devastating and our greatest worry is that he will outlive us and need care from others," a portion of the statement read by Judge McGuinness to the court said.

Having already served 15 months in pre-sentence custody, Hanna will be eligible for parole on March 7, 2018.

Outside court, George Mavridis refused to comment on Hanna's sentence, simply saying there were "no winners" from the incident.

Hanna's mother Lydia told reporters her son intends to relocate to Victoria once he is released.