Girl shocked by tap spends first night in new home with family


A young Perth girl who was left with catastrophic brain injuries after receiving a powerful electric shock has been able to go home to spend a night with her family.

For just one night Denishar Woods was able to go home to sleep surrounded by her brothers and sisters.

7News caught up with the 11-year-old and her family as they settled her in for her first night in their new house.

“It’s just a great moment, yeah. I don’t know whether to cry or smile,’ Denishar’s mother, Lacey Harrison told 7News.

“It’s her brother’s 20th tonight too, so she’s part of the birthday process with him even though she’s in bed,” Ms Harrison added.

Denishar Woods was able to go home for a night. Her mother said she didn’t know whether to cry or smile. Source: 7News.

In March this year Denishar was shocked by roughly 230 volts of electricity when she went to turn off a garden tap outside her state government owned house in Beldon.

It’s been a long three months for the girl and her family.

The 11-year-old was left with catastrophic brain injuries and she can’t see. Source: 7News.

Denishar has been in Princess Margaret Hospital with catastrophic brain injuries and she can’t see. 

“This’ll be an experiment of what’s yet to come for her, like, how much and how well she reacts to being at home in the environment,” Ms Harrison said.

Their new home in Marangaroo still needs extensive renovations to fit Denishar’s wheelchair and make it easier to lift her into bed, before she can be home on a more permanent basis.

“It’s quite a task to get her in and out with a manual hoist so once everything gets done through the department of housing it’ll be a hell of a lot easier,” Ms Harrison said.

7News caught up with the 11-year-old and her family as they settled her in for her first night into their new house. Source: 7 News.

But her mother is just happy her daughter is finally home.

“This is our fresh start, our new journey.”