Girl electrocuted by tap returns home for first time in two months

An 11-year-old girl who suffered a catastrophic brain injury from a severe electric shock at her family’s public housing property has returned home with her mother.

Denishar Woods was shocked with up to 230 volts AC when she touched a garden tap at the Beldon property, north of Perth, in March.

Doctors initially thought she would not survive then predicted she would remain in a vegetative state.

After three months in hospital, they have now allowed Denishar to go home with mother Lacey Harrison for a short visit, but not to the Beldon property.

Denishar’s family moved to another home after the incident.

The brave youngster remains wheelchair-bound and unable to talk or eat on her own.

After three months in hospital Denishar was allowed to go home for a few hours on Sunday. Source: 7 News
Denishar has defied the odds since she was shocked by 230 volts when touching a garden tap at her WA home. Source: 7News

Lawyer Stewart Levitt said Denishar was exceeding expectations but her life was still “effectively destroyed”.

“She needs massive support because she’s not able to do anything for herself. She needs every kind of support that’s imaginable,” he told 6PR radio.

“She’s basically been denied every joy that life has to offer other than the love of her mother and immediate family.

“She obviously has a very substantial claim against the Department of Housing.”

Who is at fault is still being investigated by the Office of Energy Safety.