The family of a girl allegedly traumatised by her detention as a five-year-old on Christmas Island want to get on with their lives in Australia after securing compensation from the federal government.
The government has agreed to a confidential settlement with the now nine-year-old known as 'AS', with no admission of liability.
Despite the Victorian Supreme Court stopping the case running as a class action, Maurice Blackburn Lawyers believes thousands of other Christmas Island detainees may still be able to make damages claims.
The girl's litigation guardian Sister Brigid Arthur says the family will be very relieved to put the three-year legal battle behind them.
"In one way while it's an effort to get justice, it's also an extra trauma for them and an extra thing that they were waiting for a response to," the Brigidine Asylum Seekers Project co-ordinator said.
AS spent a total of 10 months detained on Christmas Island after arriving by boat with her parents in July 2013, when she was five.
The family has been living in the community on a temporary bridging visa since January 2015, pending a decision on their refugee status.
AS's case was launched in 2014 as a class action seeking compensation for those detainees who allegedly suffered injuries as a result of inadequate care at the Christmas Island immigration detention centre.
Justice Jack Forrest, who on Wednesday approved the settlement of AS's claim, last month ruled the girl's case not proceed as a class action but as an individual claim because of a lack of commonality in their complaints.
Maurice Blackburn principal Tom Ballantyne said AS's treatment in detention caused her significant psychiatric and physical harm, including post traumatic stress disorder and a recurrent dental infection.
"Mostly it's been about the traumatic experiences that they had on Christmas Island, the role that the conditions of detention played in that," he told reporters.
"They're ongoing, as they are for most people who went through that, but the family are now trying to just get on with their lives."
Mr Ballantyne said the court's removal of the class action was an administrative issue and hundreds if not thousands of other asylum seekers who allegedly suffered injuries while detained on Christmas Island may be entitled to bring claims over their treatment.
"It in no way judged the actual conditions on Christmas Island, so it's not been a failure in any way," he said.
"There's thousands of people out there who have been deeply affected by their experiences and we'd encourage them to seek legal advice if they wanted to."
About 35,000 asylum seekers in total were detained on Christmas Island between August 2011 and August 2014, the period covered by the class action claim against the immigration minister and Commonwealth of Australia.
They would have been eligible to bring their own claim for injuries had the class action continued over alleged systemic failures in the detention centre, Mr Ballantyne said.
The minister and the Commonwealth have made no admission of liability in relation to AS's claim, a Department of Immigration and Border Protection spokesperson said, adding it was inappropriate to comment further as the matter remained before the court in relation to some outstanding issues.