Girl, 5, is bitten by python while going to the toilet

·2-min read

A five-year-old girl has been bitten on the bottom by a wild python while going to the toilet.

Alice Leung-Aram woke up at 5am on August 1 to use the toilet while her mum, Audy, waited on the landing of their home in Bangkok, Thailand.

When Alice called out to say her stomach was hurting, Audy became concerned and checked on her.

It was then the terrified mum noticed a long dark shape lurking in the toilet bowl and quickly lifted her daughter off the seat.

Alice Leung-Aram is pictured with her mum, Audy. Source: Viral Press/australscope
Alice Leung-Aram woke up at 5am on August 1 to use the toilet while her mum, Audy, waited on the landing of their home in Bangkok, Thailand. Source: Viral Press/australscope

The wild python then reared up and sank its teeth into the youngster's bare bottom as she howled in agony.

Audy called out that Alice had been bitten by a snake and her husband rushed in to help as the reptile sank back into the toilet.

“I could see that my daughter's skin had been ripped by the snake's mouth,” she said.

“The first thing I did was lift her up high to save her head. I covered the wound with a tissue and tried to squeeze blood out. I grabbed the car keys and told my husband we were heading to the hospital.”

The worried mum was unsure if the snake was venomous and asked her husband to suck any poison from Alice's wound.

Bites from a cobra - one of the world's deadliest snakes - can kill a child in under an hour.

Pictured is Alice's snake bite. Source: Viral Press/australscope
The wild python reared up and sank its teeth into the youngster's bare bottom as she howled in agony. Source: Viral Press/australscope

However, the bite she suffered was from a python, which kills its victims by coiling and suffocating them.

While in hospital, Alice was given antibiotics to treat the wound, which could have been infected by bacteria from the python's teeth.

“My daughter said she wasn’t feeling sick and she was breathing normally but the bite wound was hurting,” Audy said.

“The doctor said the bite was from a python, as a venomous snake would leave behind two deep marks while non-venomous snakes leave many small marks.”

Alice is now recovering at home.

“She's still too scared to return to the normal toilet,” the mum added.

Alice is seen in the hospital with a drip attached to her arm. Source: Viral Press/australscope
While in hospital, Alice was given antibiotics to treat the wound, which could have been infected by bacteria from the python's teeth. Source: Viral Press/australscope

Australscope

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.