Girl, 3, suffers horrific burns after waiter spills boiling oil

·2-min read

A little girl has suffered burns to more than 50 percent of her body after a restaurant worker spilled boiling hot oil over her.

The shocking incident took place at a restaurant in the city of Florencio Varela in the eastern Argentine province of Buenos Aires.

The three-year-old victim, named Briana, got up from the table to go to the toilet at the same time the worker came out of the kitchen carrying a pan with boiling oil, according to her mum Graciela.

The pair collided and little Briana was covered in the hot oil. Restaurant workers reportedly threw a bucket of cold water on the screaming girl while waiting for emergency services to arrive.

The little girl before and after the severe burns.
The little girl got up to go to the toilet at the same time a restaurant worker walked out of the kitchen carrying a pan of hot oil. Source: Newsflash/Australscope

Briana was taken to a nearby hospital and later transferred to the Children's Hospital in the city of La Plata for specialist treatment.

Varying local reports said the tot suffered burns covering up to 54 percent of her body. Images of the girl in hospital show her covered in bandages except for her left leg.

“Her whole face, neck, and arms are burned. It breaks my heart to see her like this,” Graciela said.

The mum also complained that the owner of the restaurant has not called her over the incident.

“They still haven’t contacted me or even apologised,” she said.

Graciela, who is unemployed, and her husband, a local bricklayer, have launched a crowdfunding campaign to help with their daughter’s ongoing medical costs.

The mum said she has filed a complaint with the police and staged a protest in the city to demand justice for little Briana on April 18.


Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting