Girl, 2, dies after choking on piece of sausage at nursery

Ash Cant
·2-min read

A two-year-old girl has died in hospital after she choked on a sausage during lunchtime at her nursery.

Last Thursday, emergency services were called to a nursery in Radlett, England, following reports of a child in cardiac arrest around midday, the Borehamwood Times reported.

Sadie Salt was then rushed to St Mary's Hospital paediatric ICU, where she spent two days before she died on Saturday, November 14.

“We are in terrible pain as we suffer the untimely loss of our daughter and sister, but the huge support of love from you all has been overwhelming,” Sadie’s family said on a fundraiser.

“We are so proud to tell you that she was able to help others by donating vital organs to go on and save lives.”

The fundraiser set up by Sadie’s family will give back to critically ill children and their parents through a charity called COSMIC.

The Just Giving fundraiser has surpassed the target and raised over $A79,000 for COSMIC.

Sadie Salt died choked on a sausage at her nursery during lunch time and died two days later at hospital. Source: Change.org
Sadie Salt died choked on a sausage at her nursery during lunch time and died two days later at hospital. Source: Change.org

The care Sadie and her family received while in the ICU was “incredible” according to the fundraiser.

“The team at the ICU are beyond amazing and the care for Sadie and the support for us was outstanding!” the family said on the Just Giving page.

“They do an amazing job and fully deserve all the support they can get.

“They took tremendous care of our Sadie and us and nothing was too much to make us all feel loved, cared for and supported.”

Following Sadie’s death, a petition has been launched by family friends, calling for nurserys to ban serving sausages and grapes to children under the age of five.

“Our friends have lost their baby. Our baby has lost his friend. Two young boys have lost their little sister,” the petition to local council says.

“We are fully aware that accidents happen but things can also be put in place to prevent these accidents occurring!”

The petition is calling for sausages and grapes to be banned due to the tough skins making it hard for young children to chew.

“We are appealing to get SAUSAGES AND GRAPES BANNED FROM ALL NURSERY SETTINGS ASAP so no other family has to go through the devastation and heartbreak that so many people have felt this weekend.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.