Man dies after consuming soft drink that 'didn't taste right' while on holiday

A mother is demanding answers after her 31-year-old son died suddenly after drinking a soft drink that “didn’t taste right” while on holiday.

Jerome Jester Jr, from Forsyth in Georgia, was on a trip with his sister to the Dominican Republic in March when he suddenly couldn’t breathe.

His death certificate indicated he died of a respiratory problem, his mother, Melody Moore, told Fox News.

She believes her son’s death is connected to at least 10 other mysterious deaths of American tourists in the Caribbean nation in recent months.

"As a mother, you're not there when your son takes his last breath. That hurts and I mean, you’ve got so many questions," Ms Moore said.

Jerome Jester Jr was on a holiday to the Dominican Republic when he suddenly couldn’t breathe and died. Source: Facebook

The woman said he spoke to Mr Jester hours earlier and mentioned he had drunk a soft drink that “didn't taste right”.

In the early hours of the following morning he began having trouble breathing.

His sister described him dropping to his knees and throwing up blood, according to US outlet ABC News.

She reportedly called emergency services, but her brother could not be saved.

"Being a mom, I want to go to where he was, where he died at last. Something is wrong, my son is gone. Something is really wrong," Ms Moore told WSB-TV.

Mr Jester's sister reportedly told local news outlets her brother had lupus – an autoimmune disease which causes the body's immune system to attack its own tissues and organs.

It is unclear if the illness was connected to his death.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, download the Yahoo News app from iTunes or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.