The Queensland government says it is not in a position to confirm details of a review of funding arrangements for Brisbane Olympic and Paralympic infrastructure with the federal government.
The Morrison government and the state had agreed to evenly split the costs of infrastructure, but the Albanese government has been reviewing that deal.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has previously promised the international sporting events will be "cost-neutral" and not burden Australian or Queensland taxpayers.
The federal government doesn't want to fund the development of the Gabba, which would add another 8000 seats taking its capacity 50,000 seats and add a new pedestrian plaza, which could cost up to $1 billion, Brisbane Times reports.
It would instead agree to contribute to other projects, such as the Brisbane Live swimming venue, which would shield it from cost blowouts on the Gabba project, the report said.
Acting premier Steven Miles says he is not in a position to confirm details of the funding review, which are still being worked out.
"We had a very productive meeting yesterday with the Australian government's infrastructure minister as well as the Commonwealth Treasurer Jim Chalmers, who is, of course, a Queenslander, and very close to what our plans are for the Olympic and Paralympic Games," Mr Miles told reporters in Cairns on Thursday.
"We're working through the final details of a funding arrangement that will see us deliver what will be fantastic venues for what will be a fantastic games."
Media reports have estimated the total cost of the games could be as much as $5 billion, with the expected economic windfall to be more than $8 billion.
There will be 32 venues, of which 84 per cent already exist, but the Gabba stadium and the Brisbane Live arena at Roma Street will be redeveloped.