SOUTH AUSTRALIA'S 36th GOVERNOR FRANCES ADAMSON:
* Frances Adamson has led the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade as secretary since 2016.
* Prior to her appointment, she was International Adviser to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.
* From 2011 to 2015, Ms Adamson was ambassador to the People's Republic of China.
* Ms Adamson has twice served in the Australian High Commission in London, as deputy high commissioner from 2005 to 2008 and as political counsellor from 1993 to 1997.
* She was chief of staff to the minister for foreign affairs and then the minister for defence from 2009 to 2010.
* Ms Adamson has a bachelor of economics from the University of Adelaide and was awarded an honorary doctorate in April 2021.
* She is married with four children.