All four occupants of a car have died on Victoria’s Hume Highway after their vehicle collided with a truck in the state’s northeast.
It is understood the sedan and B-double truck crashed into each other at the intersection of Wenkes Rd in Chiltern, just before 10.30am.
The four people inside the car died at the scene and are yet to be formally identified, while the truck driver, a 30-year-old man, was taken to hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
The circumstances around the crash are yet to be determined with Major Collision Investigation Units not arriving at the scene until later in the afternoon.
Wodonga Police Acting Inspector Joel Hughes told the media early on Thursday afternoon that initial investigations suggested the truck had been travelling northbound in the moments prior to the incident.
“The car was intending to turn left from the intersection onto the Hume Fwy,” he said.
“We are still investigating, still trying to confirm the full details.
“We are hopeful we’ll be able to identify all involved in the next couple of hours.”
Four people have died in a horror crash in Chiltern Valley, between Wangaratta and Wodonga. Emergency services were called to the Hume Hwy-Wenkes Rd intersection just after 10.30am on Thursday. Read the latest: https://t.co/IvbxR5zpJCpic.twitter.com/6N7TIht5v9
— Jack Franco (@JackFrancoCol) August 31, 2023
Ron Finemore Transport managing director Mark Parry told the ABC the company would assist with the investigation.
“Our thoughts are with the people who were in the vehicle and their extended family, as well as the first responders,” he said.
“From what we’ve seen … the truck was not speeding, the driver had just come off a 12-hour break.
“Early indications are the driver was doing everything right, but we won’t know until we see the vision.”
The investigation remains ongoing and northbound traffic on the highway has been closed from Springhurst Rd.
At around noon VicTraffic confirmed there would be a detour from Murray Valley Hwy to Conness St due to the closure of the northbound carriageway, which will stay in place until the road can safely reopen.
The road remains closed as of 3pm and it is unclear when it will reopen, though Melbourne-bound lanes remain open.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or who has dashcam footage is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.