'You got any money for me?': Fallen NRL star Sandow fined over street brawl
Fallen NRL player Chris Sandow has missed his first opportunity to comply with a courtroom promise to speak out against violence, demanding money to speak about his New Year's Day brawl and sneaking out a back entrance to avoid waiting media.
Sandow avoided conviction in the Murgon Magistrates Court on Tuesday after agreeing with magistrate Andrew Hackett's unorthodox request that he become a spokesman for conflict resolution in the community.
The 28-year-old pleaded guilty to a charge of public nuisance and was fined $300 over a New Year's Day brawl in Cherbourg, Queensland, which was captured on video.
Mr Hackett said Sandow had the potential to be the next Johnathan Thurston, the Australian Test and Queensland State of Origin playmaker who is a respected and acclaimed indigenous voice across the country.
"I think you are a leader, leaders lead - fighting is not leading," Mr Hackett said.
"Don't just play for yourself, it's what JT (Thurston) does."
But moments after he was given his second chance, Sandow refused to speak to journalists and instead hid inside the court building for over half an hour.
When asked by AAP if he would speak about the magistrate's gesture, he replied: "You got any money for me?"
The former halfback also said the media would be "waiting all day" for him to emerge from the courthouse.
He eventually left the building through a back door, then drove his black sedan past waiting reporters and cameras and blasted his horn.
Sandow returned to Australia last year after quitting his English Super League club Warrington because he was homesick, with Wolves chief executive Tony Smith labelling him "a pain" following his departure.
He had previously played for Parramatta and South Sydney in the NRL after being let go by the Gold Coast Titans as a talented but ill-disciplined teenage player.