Boy's neck impaled by pole in freak accident during football game

A boy has survived being impaled through the neck by a training pole while playing football with his friends.

Emergency services were called to a football pitch in Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent, in the UK, following the freak accident on Sunday afternoon.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said the boy was airlifted to hospital after crews cut the pole that was skewered through the boy’s neck.

A helicopter arrived at a football pitch on Sunday after a boy was impaled through the neck. Source: Staffordshire Fire and Rescue

These poles are used by coaches during training sessions to mark out fitness and practice areas for players to zig-zag through.

"Crews from Sandyford have been called to a football field off Chell Heath Road, Fegg Hayes, to assist colleagues from West Midlands Ambulance Service with a boy with a spike from a football training pole in his neck,” the fire service tweeted.

"The pole was cut and the boy flown to hospital by the air ambulance."

The boy’s age and his current condition have not yet been disclosed.

The boy was taken by helicopter to hospital after being impaled by a training pole while playing football with his friends. Source: Staffordshire Fire and Rescue

“One ambulance, a paramedic officer and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Staffordshire attended the scene,” a West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman told Yahoo News.

“On arrival, ambulance crews discovered one patient, a boy who had been impaled.

“The boy, who was conscious and in a stable condition, was treated for a neck injury before being airlifted to Alderhey Children’s Hospital by air ambulance.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, download the Yahoo News app from iTunes or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.