Chilling footage shows family at police station hours before murder-suicide

Surveillance footage has captured the chilling moment a man visited the police station with his girlfriend and their kids just hours before he allegedly killed them, then himself.

On April 18, Aschod Ewing-Meeks, 26, asked to speak with the deputy at the Davie County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina, USA, but he left with his family before they got the chance, local authorities said.

Two hours later, Mr Ewing-Meeks shot his girlfriend Ashton Brown, 26, and their kids Bella, four, and eight-month-old Brixx, Sheriff JD Hartman revealed at a press briefing last week.

He then set their house on fire before shooting himself, the New York Post reports.

Aschod Ewing-Meeks with daughter (left)  Ashton Brown with kids  Bella and Brixx
Aschod Ewing-Meeks, 26, shot his girlfriend Ashton Brown, 26, and their children, 4-year-old Bella and 8-month-old Brixx, before killing himself. Source: Facebook/New York Post

The sheriff described the horrific crime as one of the worst he’d ever seen.

“All four victims are deceased from gunshot wounds, the fire was intentionally set and Mr Meeks was deceased from a self-inflicted gunshot wound and we found the gun that matches all this actually still in Mr Meeks’ hand,” Sheriff Hartman said.

Chilling timeline leading up to murder-suicide

The Sheriff detailed what police believe to be an accurate timeline in the lead up to the suspected murder-suicide.

The couple were reportedly "very vague about what they wanted" when they walked into the police station with their kids at 12.11pm (local time).

When asked for their contact information, they gave Ms Brown’s parents’ address, the Sheriff said. They left after just four minutes, although it’s still unclear why.

Less than half an hour later, at 12.35pm (local time) Ms Brown called 911 with “unspecific safety concerns”, authorities said.

CCTV footage show family standing inside police station
The family visited the police station and asked to speak with the deputy, but left before they could. Source: FOX8 WGHP

When an officer called her back, they spoke briefly and Ms Brown claimed she was “calling for her boyfriend”, before the call dropped out.

A series of phone calls followed with Mr Ewing-Meeks claiming on one that “someone was following him”, although he failed to provide further detail, authorities said.

Two subsequent calls went unanswered and instead went to voicemail.

At around 2pm (local time) a neighbour reportedly saw the couple arguing in front of their home, just fifteen minutes before firefights were called to their home after reports it was on fire.

All four bodies were recovered from the home after the fire had been extinguished.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.