First vaccine blood-clot death in SA

·1-min read

A 72-year-old South Australian woman has died after developing blood clots following administration of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.

The woman had her first vaccine dose on June 24 and became unwell and was admitted to hospital on July 5.

She passed away overnight on Sunday, Premier Steven Marshall confirmed on Monday.

"Our thoughts are with her family at this very sad time," he said.

"Obviously, this is a very sad situation."

Mr Marshall said the woman's death had been referred to the Therapeutic Goods Administration and the state coroner for further investigation.

Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Emily Kirkpatrick said the woman had been living in regional SA, where she had the vaccine.

She was transferred to the Royal Adelaide Hospital and admitted to the Intensive Care Unit after becoming ill.

Dr Kirkpatrick said the onset of blood clots remained a rare condition but urged anyone who developed symptoms to seek medical advice, regardless of their age.

Those symptoms include a sudden headache that failed to respond to analgesia, abdominal pain, leg pain or generally feeling off usually about four days after receiving the vaccine.

The woman's death is the first in SA from blood clots thought to be related to the Astra Zeneca vaccine.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting