Cooking sparks Melbourne building fire

A person cooking has sparked a blaze at an inner Melbourne property with dozens of firefighters having to use breathing apparatus to fight the fire.

Authorities were called to the building on Lygon and University streets, Carlton, about 7.18am on Friday and had the situation under control within 30 minutes, but are still on scene.

An occupant cooking has been identified as the cause of the blaze but no one is injured, the Metropolitan Fire Brigade said.

Seven appliances and about 30 firefighters were tackling the blaze from the inside of the building after having trouble gaining access.

The fire is in the same block as the La Mama Theatre, which a fire ripped through in May 2018.