Fears grow as another new case is discovered in Sydney outbreak

·News Reporter
·2-min read

Details of the movements of two newly diagnosed coronavirus cases in Sydney’s Northern Beaches have prompted fears of further cases across the city as yet another infection emerged on Thursday.

One of the cases, a man in his 60s from Frenchs Forest, is a drummer in a band called Nothing Too Serious, Health Minister Brad Hazzard said in a press conference.

He performed multiple gigs across Sydney recently, including as far west as Penrith, however, it is unclear if he did so while infectious.

FULL LIST: All of the venues which NSW Health has issued warnings about

The second positive case confirmed earlier on Thursday is a woman in her 50s. It has been revealed she works in Pittwater Palms retirement village in Avalon.

Her partner has since tested positive, taking locally acquired active cases in the Northern Beaches to five. The source of the infections is still unknown.

The woman works at Pittwater Palms retirement village in Avalon. Source: Google
The woman works at Pittwater Palms retirement village in Avalon. Source: Google

There are immediate fears for the welfare of the residents of the facility which is part of a sector which has been badly affected by the pandemic.

Her role at the facility is unknown.

Avalon RSL may be source of outbreak

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said it appears Avalon RSL, where the drummer performed, is the source of subsequent infections.

The aged care worker and her partner are understood to have been at the RSL where the drummer was present on Friday.

A woman in her 60s, whose positive test was confirmed on Wednesday, crossed over with the aged care worker at Avalon Bowling Club on Sunday.

Anyone at the RSL on Friday is urged to get tested and isolate as should those who attended Penrith RSL on Sunday from 1pm to 6pm and Kirribilli Club on Monday from 12pm to 3pm.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian earlier announced visitors to aged care homes had been temporarily banned while NSW Health determine the source of the outbreak.

NSW has reported six cases in the past two days after no local cases since December 3, the first being an airport shuttle bus driver in Sydney’s southwest.

Health Minister Brad Hazzard said on Thursday there was no need to change any of NSW’s restrictions, reassuring the public of NSW Health’s ability to contain outbreaks.

“NSW has shown the gold standard in terms of keeping a state open,” he told reporters.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting