Ex-footballer Cable fighting child sexual abuse charges

Former Australian Rules footballer Barry Cable will fight child sexual crime allegations dating back to the 1960s.

The 80-year-old has been charged with five counts of indecent dealing with a girl aged under 13 and two counts of unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under 13.

The offences are alleged to have happened between January 1, 1967 and April 27, 1968.

Cable, who is on bail, appeared briefly in Perth Magistrates Court on Thursday where he entered not guilty pleas to all the charges.

The former North Melbourne player only spoke to confirm his name and enter his pleas after being charged by police last Friday.

Cable wore dark sunglasses as he arrived at court with his lawyer Tom Percy KC and didn't respond to questions from media other than to say someone named Sam had visited his home and "he was talking about the footy and how North was going".

A civil trial in the District Court of Western Australia last year found Cable abused a girl over five years from 1968 when she was aged 12.

Barry Cable (file image)
Cable was stripped of his Australian Football Hall of Fame honours. (Joe Castro/AAP PHOTOS)

Judge Mark Herron said there was also compelling evidence the former footballer, who has denied all allegations, had violated other children.

The woman was awarded $818,700 in damages but expected to receive "zero" compensation because Cable had been declared bankrupt, her lawyer said.

Cable was later stripped of his Australian Football Hall of Fame honours following an illustrious playing career in the 1960s and '70s for Perth and East Perth in the WAFL and North Melbourne in the VFL, going on to coach in both leagues.

He is scheduled to reappear in the Magistrates Court on August 8.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028