The undercard for the much-hyped Tim Tszyu-Joel Camilleri bout has sparked outrage after former NRL star Justin Hodges ended his fight within seconds.
Hodges was entering the ring for his second bout against opponent Kiwi Troy McMahon - who was on his professional debut - after sharing a war-of-words with former NRL player Paul Gallen earlier in the week.
The Queenslander already shared a superior reach and weight advantage over the 43-year-old McMahon and the advantage proved too much.
Wanting to back up his words, Hodges approached his opponent as soon as the bell rung before throwing just a handful of punches, which floored McMahon.
The fight was immediately waved off as McMahon struggled to his feet.
A shocked Hodges walked back to his corner as members of the crowd could be heard booing.
"I don't care about the crowd, the crowd doesn't bother me. I've spent 18 years playing the game of rugby league," Hodges said.
"They are the one booing, but they should get in the ring and have a go themselves.
"It is gut wrenching, and an empty feeling, you train hard and you want to have a good fight.
"I didn't have any bad feelings towards him, he took the fight at late notice when a few guys pulled out and he could have been like everyone else too."
Hodges, who is an assistant coach to Queensland State of Origin rugby league coach Kevin Walters, said he planned to concentrate on the upcoming series and wasn't likely to fight again until November.
Social media panned the spectacle as an “embarrassment” to Australian boxing.
Hmmmmmm. Justin Hodges fight lasts all of about 15 seconds. pic.twitter.com/cPYNH7D47M— Jamie Pandaram (@JamiePandaram) May 15, 2019
What an absolute joke. And the show is PPV good luck building Aus boxing with rubbish like that going on.— Billy The Kid (@BillyDib) May 15, 2019