Martin Gugino, the 75-year-old activist who was knocked to the ground by Buffalo police earlier this month, has a fractured skull and is unable to walk after the incident, but he doesn’t want people to focus on his plight.
"I am not at liberty to elaborate at this time other than to confirm that his skull was fractured," Mr Gugino's attorney Kelly Zarcone told CNN.
"While he is not able to walk yet, we were able to have a short conversation before he became too tired.
“He is appreciative of all of the concern about him but he is still focused on the issues rather than himself."
A video of Mr Gugino approaching police with what appears to be a mobile phone towards the end of a Black Lives Matter demonstration went viral on social media after the elderly man was shown being pushed by two police officers, he then lay on the ground with blood pouring from his head as officers passed him.
The two police officers filmed shoving Mr Gugino were stood down and charged with assault, with nearly 60 police officers voluntarily standing down in solidarity with their fellow officers.
The officers, who could face prison sentences of up to seven years if convicted, have pleaded not guilty.
Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. @OANN I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 9, 2020
‘Very unnecessary to focus on me,’ injured protester says
The video drew widespread outrage from those speaking out against police brutality.
It even attracted suggestions Mr Gugino was part of a “set up” from US President Donald Trump.
"Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur," Mr Trump said earlier this month.
"75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment. @OANN I watched, he fell harder than he was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?”
Mr Gugino remains in rehabilitation and CNN reported they were unable to contact him directly for comment, but he passed on a statement urging the media not to focus on him.
“I think it’s very unnecessary to focus on me. There are plenty of other things to think about besides me,” Mr Gugino said.
Ms Zarcone told CNN Tuesday (local time) she expects her client would remain in care for a week.
"Barring something unusual and unforeseen, I don't expect much change at all this week," she said.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.