Egypt train death toll revised down to 19

·1-min read

Egyptian authorities have lowered the number of people killed when two passenger trains collided the day before to 19.

The collision took place in the southern province of Sohag on Friday, causing some carriages to derail.

The health ministry initially put the death toll at 32.

But on Saturday, Health Minister Hala Zyed said that after investigation, there were 19 dead people, in addition to three bags with body parts collected from unidentified persons.

Explaining the discrepancy, she said at a televised press conference that some previously reported fatalities were later proven to be coma cases of people injured in the accident.

The official added that 185 others were injured in the crash.

Rail traffic meanwhile resumed in southern Egypt after wreckage from the trains was removed, Egyptian media reported on Saturday.

Friday's crash was the latest in a string of rail tragedies in Egypt.

The state-run railway authority said that one of the two trains suddenly stopped after some people tampered with emergency brakes.

The second train ploughed into the stationary train from behind, the authority added in a statement.