The man who was allegedly driving more than 45km/h over the limit in a horror crash in which two teenagers were killed in southwestern Sydney earlier this week will spend Christmas behind bars on remand.
Nicholas Thew, 27, fronted court for the first time on Wednesday on a string of offences relating to a crash at Ashcroft on Monday which shocked Sydney.
After spending the night in custody, the Sadleir man has been charged with nine offences including two counts of aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death, failing to stop and assist and never holding a licence.
He fronted Liverpool Local Court for the first time on Wednesday morning when his solicitor Mohamad Sakr did not apply for bail.
“My condolences to the two young kids’ families, they’re very tragic circumstances and the matter should remain confidential between the courts until these matters are resolved,” Mr Sakr said.
Mr Sakr told the court there were “underlying issues” and that he would apply for Mr Thew to be released on bail on the next occasion.
He will return to court on January 31, with the police ordered to serve a brief of evidence a week prior.
Emergency services were confronted with a horrific scene when they were called to the crash at Maxwells Avenue, Ashcroft on Monday morning.
A silver Ford sedan hit a power pole and then a tree before it was torn in two, with the body of one of the boys flung from the car.
Two boys, aged 13 and 14, were killed in the accident.
The two men in the car pulled themselves from the wreckage and fled the scene and remained on the run for 24 hours before they handed themselves in at Wetherill Park Police Station on Tuesday afternoon.
They were taken to Liverpool Hospital under police guard.
Police have alleged that Mr Thew was driving at the time of the accident and he was charged with nine offences - two counts of aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death with a speed of 45 km over the limit; two counts of dangerous driving occasioning death – drive manner dangerous; two counts of failing to stop and assist; never holding a licence; cause bodily harm by misconduct and negligent driving (occasioning death).
No charges have yet been laid against the other man, 23.
The families of the two boys said in a statement on Tuesday they were “still in shock and devastated” by the “tragic” crash”.
“We are continuing to come to terms with the loss of our much-loved son and brother,” they said.